Sunday, May 15, 2011

Chilorio


I was watching tv yesterday, and I started watching Pati's Mexican Table on PBS.  She made a dish called Chilorio, which is shredded pork in ancho chile sauce, that you can roll into a burrito.  Somehow I got it in my head that I just had to try making chilorio, even though I hardly ever cook pork, it seemed pretty easy.  If it tasted as good as it looked, that would be a big payoff.

Ancho chiles are the big ones.  I believe they are the dried version of the Pasilla chile, which are almost as big around as green peppers, and longer.  Ancho chiles are about 4-5 inches long, and kind of triangular in shape.  They are mild in their spicyness.  I knew I could find these at Food City for not too much.  Since most of the ingredients I already had on hand, I only really needed to buy the chiles, pork, and tortillas.  That's a short and easy shopping list!

CHILORIO


3 lbs. boneless pork, cut into 1 to 2 inch cubes
1 and 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (use the oranges in your yard!)
1 and 1/4 cup water
salt
Ancho Chile Sauce

Put the pork in a pan with the water, orange juice, and salt.  Bring it up to a boil and then lower the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes until it shreds apart easily.  When it cools enough to handle, shred the pork and put it in a bowl.

While the meat is cooking, make the Ancho Chile Sauce.

ANCHO CHILE SAUCE


5 ancho chiles - remove the stem and seeds and break them into large pieces
1 and 1/2 cups boiling water (or just enough to cover the chiles)
1/2 cup onion
4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup parsley
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
Salt
Pepper
Oregano
Cumin (tiny bit)

Put the chiles in a bowl and pour the boiling water over them.  Let the chiles sit in the boiling water for about 10 minutes to soften.  When they are soft, put them in a blender with the onions, garlic, parsley, vinegar, salt, pepper, oregano, and cumin.  Add some of the chile soaking water to help the ingredients blend together.

After the meat is shredded, heat a couple tablespoons of oil in a pan.  Add the ancho chile sauce to the pan and let it cook for a few minutes.  Then add the shredded meat to the sauce along with any remaining cooking juices.  Simmer the meat and sauce together for 20-30 minutes, to let the meat absorb the sauce, and the flavors to come together.

When you are ready to eat the chilorio, heat your tortillas on a comal or frying pan with no oil.  I had chilorio tacos on soft corn tortillas and they were pretty good!  Actually they were delicious.  I put pepper jack cheese in the tortilla, then a couple spoonfuls of chilorio, then shredded cabbage, cilantro, and salsa (salsa roja molcajete).  I have to admit they were good!

If you prefer burritos, heat your flour tortilla, and roll the chilorio up inside it.

Ms. Pati said you can make chilorio with beef or chicken if you want.  I decided to try making it with pork the first time, since that is the original recipe.  Maybe next time I will try chicken....  Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment