Thursday, September 2, 2010

Twins!!!



It doesn't happen very often, so imagine my surprise when the first egg I cracked this morning slid out of its shell with 2 yolks!!  Good thing I had the presence of mind at 6 a.m. to snap this picture.  Ok, ok, I'm obsessed with taking pictures!  And it's a good thing I did because I have found out since then that there are people I know who have never seen an egg with 2 yolks!  Anyways, it's for real.  It's not fake.  I even cracked his carton-mate into the bowl next to the twins so you could see the size of the single-yolk egg.  So cute!

SAUSAGE AND EGG BURRITO:

breakfast sausage (2)
eggs (2) (3 if it's twins hahah!)
flour tortilla(1)

Heat your comal and put the tortilla on it to get it warm on both sides.  You'll need to flip it over a couple times while your eggs and sausages are cooking.  If you don't have a comal, just use a flattop or a large frying pan.  I am currently using a large cast iron skillet because my comal got rusty and I had to throw it away.

Heat an egg pan and put the sausages in it.  I used Farmer John breakfast links which are easy to work with because they have no casing and you can smash it up with your spatula.  That makes it cook faster plus you need to chop the sausage up anyways to put it in the burrito.

Crack the eggs into a bowl and stir them up real fast with a fork so the white and yolk are mixed together.  Add some salt, pepper, and anything else you like such as, red chile powder, chile flakes, hot sauce, etc.

When the sausages are brown pour the eggs into the pan with the sausage and scramble the eggs in with the sausage.  When the eggs are cooked (i.e., not runny any more) turn off the heat.  Put the tortilla on a plate and put the eggs/sausage on top of the tortilla.  Roll the tortilla around the eggs and sausage, folding one (or both) end in so the filling doesn't fall out.  Now eat it!!!

So, why does grease jump out of the pan???  That is so annoying.  When it's not burning you, it's still making a huge mess all over the stove and even down onto the floor!  I'm sure there is a scientific explanation for it and maybe someday I'll even discover it.  In the meantime I have to keep cleaning it up....

5 comments:

  1. I must go to the twin egg yolk store because I get them all the time ... or is it just because I am special?

    I agree that the best sausage is the Farmer John links. However, Albertson's has a really nice sausage (sorry I forget the brand) and can be found in the frozen food section. The sausage is ground pork and bacon all rolled into one. How could life be any better than that -- sausage and bacon together, YUMMY!!

    Catch ya next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound good... I forgot to tell you the sausage is maple flavor. Not only it taste good but it smells so yummy while it's cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit I'm one that did not know that twin eggs existed. Until now! Nice work on the blog!! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds good - will give it a try this weekend. The only surprising thing in your description is that you mix up your eggs with a fork and not chopsticks (my half-Asian sister); I'm sure your Mom taught you otherwise!

    Loving your food blog - keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm unfamiliar with a comal. I'll have to look that up. I like putting chorizo and kale in my egg burritos.

    ReplyDelete